Millard Fillmore was the thirteenth President of the United States, he started life in a log cabin in the frontier of the United States but later became a lawyer. In 1848, he was elected Vice President under Zachary Taylor on the Whig Party ticket. A year later, Taylor died and Fillmore assumed the presidency until 1853. He attempted to win a term of his own in 1852 but he lost the Whig nomination to General Winifield Scott and he tried again in 1856 as head of the racist anti-Irish/anti-Catholic Know Nothing Party.
Congratulations! If you're reading this, Millard Fillmore is no longer unheard of to you!
Pros & Cons
- Opened up trade with Japan.
- Signed the Compromise of 1850.
- The Fugitive Slave Act of 1853.
- Extremely prejudice against Irish-Catholic immigrants.
- Undid a lot of the progress Zachary Taylor had made in avoiding a Civil War.