|James Buchanan Jr.|
|Political Party:||Democratic Party|
|Born||April 23, 1791|
|Died||June 1, 1868 (aged 77)|
In those times the Democratic Party was far more Conservative than it is today. Buchanan supported Slavery despite being a Northerner. James Buchanan was considered one of the worst Presidents of the United States. Later Buchanan supported Lincoln during the Civil War. Buchanan vacillated saying and doing first one thing then another. Civil War didn't quite happen during the Buchanan presidency but started soon after.
Could anyone else have done better during those difficult times? Probably not.
It took Abraham Lincoln to clean up after Buchanan, this was the first major event where a conservative screwed stuff up and a liberal fixed it (Other times would be the 1930s, the early 60's, the 90's, and 2009. 
While some presidents entered the White House as bachelors, Buchanan was the only one who died a bachelor. This made modern historians theorize that he was either asexual, celibate or a homosexual. But in actuality, he was once engaged to Ann Coleman, but she died of an accidental overdose. So distraught by her death, Buchanan swore he would never marry. He did have his niece fulfill some of the First Lady's roles, but let's hope he didn't confuse his niece with Coleman.
Pros & Cons
- Didn't respond to the Southern states seceding with violence
- Heavy drinker at all hours of the day, while in office
- Suffered from severe depression (not necessarily his fault, but not what you want in the commander-in-chief)
- The Dredd Scott decision
- The “Bleeding Kansas” Crisis
- The Utah War
- The Panic of 1857
- Did nothing to stop the brewing Civil War
- 7 states seceded while he was still in office