Cancer is a serious desease where the cells of the cancer sufferer divide and regrow uncontrollably, causing tumors and other damage. Cancer is not contagious and the risk of getting it can be reduced by eating healthy food and exercising.
If you think you’ve got cancer
- Cancer patients are very much more likely to survive if the disease is caught early.
- If you think you may have cancer go to a doctor as soon as you can.
- The doctor may tell you you're OK and you'll be glad you saw the doctor and didn't worry unnecessarily.
- If you really have got cancer at least seeing a doctor at once means treatment can start at once and you're much more likely to recover.
Cancer is too easily overlooked in its first stages but increasingly gets stronger and deadlier if not treated for a while. It also can travel from one part of the body to another through the lymphatic system or bloodstream. The chance of survival for the patient greatly varies depending on the extent of the cancer and the location in the body of the cancer.
As stated above early diagnosis and treatment greatly increases the chances of survival.
Causes of cancer
Cancer is a huge problem in America, due to many Americans having a poor diet and being lazy. Determining what causes cancer can be tough, but there are many known origins:
- Large amounts of tobacco use.
- Lack of physical activity/obesity.
- Environmental pollutions.
- Nuclear radiation.
- Certain infections.
- Poverty and lack of medical insurance (prevents poor people getting cancer diagnosed and treated early)
Some of these can be avoided but unfortunately the risk of cancer is also sometimes genetically determined. If a parent or grandparent has it some types of cancer become more likely. Even if it's inherited, patients can still reduce the risk of cancer by living a healthy lifestyle.
In 2007, cancer caused about 13% of all human deaths on the planet. A high proportion of cancer deaths, not surprisingly, were in the US. The Affordable Care Act should improve this but Universal Health Care would be better still.